The Industrial IoT and Industry 4.0 Case Study Report 2023 is part of IoT Analytics’ ongoing coverage of Industrial IoT and Industry 4.0. The information presented in this report is based on detailed case study presentations from 22 predominantly European manufacturers collected between April 2022 and July 2023. Each case study includes different details about the implementations—as told and prioritized by the companies themselves.
The main purpose of this document is to help our readers understand examples of IoT projects, including technological details, key challenges, and best practices.
Definition of “Industry 4.0” (as per IoT Analytics)
“The use of modern I4.0 tech stack elements (1) or specific supporting technologies (2) that enable manufacturers to integrate various data sources, achieve higher OEE, reduce costs, or improve other KPIs relevant to a production setup (manufacturing of goods, mining, and oil and gas), mostly in conjunction with rolling out new or improved use cases.”
Important distinction: Manufacturers have two very different views of Industry 4.0 and IIoT
- Smart operations/manufacturing/factory
- Technology architecture with large on-premises footprint, including PLCs, tethered connectivity, and hardware retrofits
- Operational goals with a focus on efficiency and cost savings
- Smart-connected products (that have been sold to customers)
- Technology architecture with larger cloud footprint and wireless connectivity
- Often not applicable to process industries (e.g., chemicals, pharma, oil and gas)
- Operational goals focused mostly on customer satisfaction, revenue, and user interaction
Each case study begins with a comprehensive overview. This includes a profile of the business, featuring general company information such as the company name, industry, headquarters, revenue, and employee count. Additionally, the project mission and key takeaways are highlighted, providing a succinct summary of each case study.
Our Industrial IoT Case Study Report offers a quick overview of essential technical aspects of the initiatives, including key components and technology providers
Each case study in our report offers a deep dive into significant initiatives, detailing aspects such as the partner vendor or technical specifics like the data architecture of the solution. These insights are further enriched with quotes from industry leaders.